Tuesday, August 10, 2010

_____'s Girl | Melissa McEwen

First published in Mipo: a Community Chapbook, 2009


_____'s Girl

In Junior High School, I wanted

to be owned

by a possessive
noun, owned by a noun—proper,

the correct way: a hickey
on the face so the whole school could see

that you were his baby, like a wedding ring, like a tattoo
of his name on your left breast, like having

his baby and giving it his last name
or whole name if it were a boy, like

the girl who had all of the above
by the time she finished high school. I

remember in chemistry class
how the hickey on her cheek shined

under the classroom's light
like she was stung or bitten and we

all knew who did it. I couldn't look
away, wanted to possess it, peel it off

and stick it on me, study it
at home in front of the mirror

in the bathroom with the lamp
with no shade.

2 comments:

  1. "I couldn't look
    away, wanted to possess it, peel it off


    and stick it on me, study it
    at home in front of the mirror


    in the bathroom with the lamp
    with no shade."
    Oh lawd...you're killin' me! I love this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL @ you're killin' me. This is my favorite poem by my sister.

    ReplyDelete